Italy has a total of 61 state and 15 private affiliated universities; these include some of oldest and most prestigious in Europe. State owned Italian universities are run by the Italian Ministry of Education, all Italian universities are designed to structurally follow what is considered as a standardized European model of higher education, with a course of three years to obtain a bachelor degree (Laurea triennale), a further two years to specialize with a Master’s degree (Laurea Magistrale) and, finally a PhD (Dottore di Ricerca).
If you intend to study in Italy for your bachelor, masters or doctoral degrees, Italy would be a fantastic destination, the beautiful and serene countryside should get you interested or the subsidized tuition fees between €850 and €3,500 per year at public universities (depending on the students family income and on the number of credits included in the study plan) and various available study grants.
To apply to an Italian university the necessary application credentials, requirements and processes you must fulfill to be eligible:
- Completed application form to receive a Letter of Academic Eligibility and Suitability (Dichiarazione di Valore)
- Admission application of €200
- Completed relevant pre-enrolment application form. Click Application forms to complete the university application
- Copy of your school leaving qualification/certificate of completion of high school education if you are an undergraduate applicant, or copy of your undergraduate qualification certificate if you are a postgraduate applicant
- Transcript of exams, including name of each passed exam and detailed syllabi of each course attended
- Two passport-sized photographs, one of which you must sign
- Any other documentation that can support your application (which must all be translated into Italian)
- Proof of proficiency in Italian by passing and presenting the results of an Italian language exam, such as CILS– Certificazione di Italiano come Lingua Straniera, CELI – Certificazione Italiano generale, PLIDA – Progetto Lingua Italiana Dante Alighieri, IT – Certificato di competenza generale in italiano come lingua straniera, CITA/TELC European Language certificates and UNIcert
- Proof of proficiency in English by passing and presenting the IELTS exam scores
- Financial sufficiency or scholarship grants to fund your education
- Entrance admission examination i.e. Corsi di Laurea
- Legalization and formalization of certificates by the Nigerian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Education and the Italian Embassy, this step includes;
- Pre-enrollment application form
- Prepare all the necessary documents
- Deliver your application + documents to the Italian diplomatic embassy
For further information about enrollment requirements in Italian universities, please visit here
As a Nigerian international student with intentions to study in Italy, I have compiled 10 of the best schools for you to consider during admission applications;
This is the largest technical university in Italy, with two main campuses in Milan city and other satellite campuses in five other cities across Lombardy and Emilia Romagna. It offers undergraduate, graduate and higher education courses across 12 departments in engineering, architecture and design.
Programmes and courses link: http://www.polimi.it/en/programmes/
Admissions application link: http://www.polinternational.polimi.it/
This is the first and oldest university in the world. It is located in Bologna and also has campuses in Ravenna, Forlì, Cesena and Rimini and a branch center abroad in Buenos Aires. The school has 11 schools, 33 departments 101 bachelor degrees and 108 masters’ degrees.
Programmes and courses link: http://www.unibo.it/en/teaching
Admissions application link: http://www.unibo.it/en/international
This is a collegiate research university located in Rome, Italy. The university has eleven faculties and 65 departments with significant research programmes in the fields of engineering, natural sciences, biomedical sciences and humanities. It offers 10 Masters Programmes taught entirely in English.
Programmes and courses link: http://en.uniroma1.it/structures/faculties-0
Admissions application link: http://en.uniroma1.it/study-us/visiting-and-exchange-students/erasmus
This is Italy’s oldest technical engineering university and it is partially public situated in Turin, Italy. The university has 28 Bachelor degree programs, 32 Maters’ degree programs, with 18 courses completely in English. It offers several courses in the fields of Engineering, Architecture and Industrial Design.
Admissions application link: http://international.polito.it/
This is a premier Italian university located in the city of Padua, in Italy. The university is classified into 8 schools and 32 departments.
Programmes and courses link: http://www.unipd.it/en/courses-0, http://www.unipd.it/en/international-full-degree-programmes , http://www.unipd.it/en/english-degrees
Admissions application link: http://www.unipd.it/en/how-apply
This is an Italian university located in Milan. The University of Milan is organized into 9 schools and offers 134 undergraduate and graduate courses, 21 Doctoral Schools and 92 Specialization Schools.
Programmes and courses link: http://www.unimi.it/ENG/university/29512.htm
Admissions application link: http://www.unimi.it/ENG/admission/29528.htm
This is a public research university located in Pisa, Italy. The university has 20 departments, with high-level research centres and specialization in the fields of agriculture, astrophysics, computer science, engineering, mathematics, medicine and veterinary medicine.
Programmes and courses link: https://www.unipi.it/index.php/study/itemlist/category/297
Admissions application link: https://www.unipi.it/index.php/study/itemlist/category/308, https://www.unipi.it/index.php/study/itemlist/category/298
This is an Italian university located in Naples. It is divided into 13 faculties with departments like Agriculture, Architecture, Biotechnology, Economics, Engineering, Law, Letters and philosophy, Mathematical, Physical and Natural sciences, Medicine and surgery, Pharmacy, Political sciences, Sociology and Veterinary medicine.
Programmes and courses link: http://www.unina.it/didattica
Admissions application link: http://www.unina.it/unina-international/education/admission-regulation/foreign-students-admission-regulation
This is an Italian public research university located in Florence, Italy. It comprises 12 schools such as Agriculture, Architecture, Arts, Economics, Education, Engineering, Law, Mathematics, Physics and Natural Sciences, Medicine and Surgery, Pharmacology, Political Science, and Psychology.
Admissions application link: http://www.unifi.it/cmpro-v-p-10338.html
This is a public research university located in Rome, Italy. The university comprises of six schools, 19 departments which offer 114 undergraduate degree programs (9 are entirely taught in English), 31 PhD programmes and 120 Masters programmes.
Programmes and courses link: http://web.uniroma2.it/module/name/PdnHome/newlang/english/navpath/COU
Admissions application link: http://web.uniroma2.it/module/name/PdnHome/newlang/english/navpath/INT
Note: If you will like to read various posts on top schools, visas and immigration like this, especially on Traveling to foreign countries such as Tourism, Education, Visiting and Permanent Visa and Immigration to USA, UK, Australia, Europe including France, Belgium, Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands, Germany and Switzerland, please subscribe to our newsletter below. We will send you updates any time there’s a new post. We promise it is 100% spam free!