South Korea is home to some of the best universities in the world. Its education system is characterized by public and private institutions both funded and supported collectively by the South Korean government. The country spent 7.6% of its GDP on all levels of education and high academic performance in 2010 according to the ICEF Monitor. The South Korean Government offers a yearly scholarship scheme for international students to study in its higher institutions. This is known as the Global Korea Scholarship, which is a scholarship program founded by the Korean government and implemented by the National Institute for International Education.
The objective of the scholarship program is to provide international students with an opportunity to conduct advanced studies at higher educational institutions in Korea in order to promote international exchanges in education and mutual friendship between the countries.
Over 170 undergraduate and 700 postgraduate scholarships are to be awarded to students. Selection of applicants will be strictly based on necessary documentations such as;
- Transcript indicating that you possess above 80% (out of 100%) cumulative grade point average (C.G.P.A.), or must be within 20% (out of 100%) in the rank during your entire high school period. GPA must be between 2.64/4.0, 2.80/4.3, 2.91/4.5, 3.23/5.0 or higher.
- Letter of Motivation
- Study plan
- Certificates of language proficiency in Korean and English (Level 5 in TOPIK, IELTS)
- Letters of recommendation
- Medical certification
- Birth certificate indicating <25 for undergraduate and <40 for post graduate
- International passport specifying citizenship
- Necessary visa and travel supporting documents
The Total Value of this Scholarship Benefit is worth:
- Airplane ticket or airfare: The grantees will receive an airplane ticket or be paid an economy class airfare of the shortest route between their country and Korea when they come to Korea, and, thereafter, when they leave Korea after the completion of their study.
- Monthly Stipend: 800,000 won per month.
- Tuition: The tuition fee up to 5 million won is exempted by the Korean Government, and if any, the tuition fees exceeding 5 million won and the entrance fee for the first semester by the host university.
- Settlement Allowance: 200,000 won upon arrival.
- Repatriation Allowance: 100,000 won upon completion of studies
- Korean Language Training Expenses: The full costs up to 1 year (NIIED pays directly to the language training institution)
- Medical Insurance: The grantees will be provided with health insurance for major accidents and illnesses during their scholarship period.
- The grantee who has level 5 or higher in TOPIK will receive 100,000 won per month after being enrolled at a university in his/her higher degree.
Click here for more scholarship and application process
There are also several support programs for various study levels which you can check out on the link above.
The main criteria for getting into high ranking South Korean colleges and universities are;
- Good grades from previous educational institutions
- Adequate financial support either by scholarships or financial aid or personal funding
- A well completed course work
- Proof of English and Korean language proficiency such as IELTS and TOPIK
- Standardized official entrance test scores on SAT, GRE or GMAT
- A properly written statement of purpose
- Reference letters
- Honors and awards
- Admission application fee
Admission application processes is via online account registration and via post. The South Korean universities admission timeline is March and September.
Here’s a list of 10 of the best schools in South Korea
This is a national research university located in Seoul, the capital of Korea. Its academic structure is divided into 16 colleges which offer 83 undergraduate degree programs. Master and doctoral programs are grouped under one graduate school with 99 programs from five fields of studies
For admissions applications, tuition fees, and scholarship information, follow this link: http://en.snu.ac.kr/apply/info
This is a public research university located in Daedeok Innopolis, Daejeon, South Korea. The university is organized into 6 colleges, 2 schools and 33 departments.
Programmes and courses link: http://www.kaist.edu/html/en/edu/edu_030101.html
Admissions application link: http://admission.kaist.ac.kr/international/
This is a private research university in Seoul, South Korea. It is one of Korea’s most prestigious in the country. Yonsei was established in 1885 and is the oldest university in South Korea.
Programmes and courses link: http://www.yonsei.ac.kr/en_sc/admission/dep.jsp
Admissions application link: http://www.yonsei.ac.kr/en_sc/admission/admission.jsp
This is a private research university in Pohang, South Korea which is dedicated to research and education in science and technology.
Programmes and courses link: http://postech.ac.kr/eng/academics/academic-info/academic-calendar/
Admissions application link: http://postech.ac.kr/eng/admission-education/admission-info/
This is a group of public universities and research institutions in Seoul, Suwon, Changwon, Ansan, Seongnam andDaejeon, in South Korea. The university offers special courses in technical business administration, economics, strategies, communication, writing, theories of research, planning, and management, venture start-ups, etc
Programmes and courses link: https://www.ust.ac.kr/prog/ustAreaCampus/eng/sub03_01_01/list.do
Admissions application link: https://admission.ust.ac.kr/prog/info/admission_eng/sub02_02/special/list.do
This is a private research university with campuses in Seoul and Suwon. The university is divided into 12 schools and 4 colleges which offer degrees at the bachelor’s level, 12 graduate schools which offer various degrees at both the master’s and doctoral levels.
Programmes and courses link: http://www.skku.edu/eng_home/edu/hu_science/academy.jsp
Admissions application link: http://admission-global.skku.edu/admission/index.jsp
This is a private research university situated in Seoul and Ansan in South Korea. The university consists of 23 colleges and 15 Graduate schools which include 1 regular Graduate School, 7 Professional Graduate Schools, and 13 Specialized Graduate Schools.
Programmes and courses link: http://www.hanyang.ac.kr/web/eng/college/department-info
Admissions application link: http://study.hanyang.ac.kr/
This is a private women’s university in Seoul, South Korea.
Programmes and courses link: http://www.ewha.ac.kr/mbs/ewhaen/subview.jsp?id=ewhaen_031103000000
Admissions application link: http://cms.ewha.ac.kr/user/oga/
This is a private, research university with campuses in Seoul, Suwon, and Gwangneung, South Korea. It has 24 colleges, 71 departments and majors, 65 master’s and 63 doctorate programs, 18 professional and special graduate schools, and 43 auxiliary research institutions.
Programmes and courses link: Graduate; http://www.khu.ac.kr/eng/academics/graduate.jsp
Admissions application link: http://www.khu.ac.kr/eng/academics/admissions.jsp
This is a national university located in Daegu Metropolitan City and Gyeongbuk Province in South Korea.
Programmes and courses link: http://en.knu.ac.kr/bbs/board.html?code=academics01&inc=0
Admissions application link: http://en.knu.ac.kr/
Note: If you will like to read various posts on top schools, visas and immigration like this, especially on Traveling to foreign countries such as Tourism, Education, Visiting and Permanent Visa and Immigration to USA, UK, Australia, Europe including France, Belgium, Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands, Germany and Switzerland, please subscribe to our newsletter below. We will send you updates any time there’s a new post. We promise it is 100% spam free!