If you intend to study abroad within the next few months, the international admission season is around the corner and there are lots of admission processes to fulfill, but do not forget to apply for scholarships alongside your school applications as well. These are ten scholarships available to Nigerian students aboard:
United States of America
- Stanford MBA Fellowship
The Stanford MBA Fellowship scholarships for Africans wishing to study at Stanford University’s Graduate School of Business on the MBA program. Applicants should show commitment to the development of their home country.
Eligibility and Application
You must be an African residing in Africa.
Stanford Africa MBA Fellows must first be selected as finalists through the fellowship application process. Stanford will select up to 100 Stanford Africa MBA Fellowship finalists based on:
If you are not selected as a Stanford Africa MBA Fellowship finalist, you remain welcome to apply to the Stanford MBA Program in any application round and you will remain eligible to receive other forms of financial aid.
To apply, applicants would have to send:
- One page curriculum vitae or resume
- 250-word essay on how you plan to make an impact on the continent
- Individual financial information
- Awards which could be either academic, personal or professional
- Finalists would be required to submit unofficial copies in the MBA application and upon admission would have to submit official copies
- You may also submit the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) and/or the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), if available. These are optional at the fellowship application stage. If you are selected as a finalist, you’ll be required to take one of these exams as part of your application to the Stanford MBA Program.
For further information visit here
- Zawadi Africa Education Fund For Young African Women
The Zawadi Africa Education Fund For Young African Women is a scholarship program for female students from Uganda, Ghana, and Kenya to study in the US.
Eligibility and Application process
For the African student to be eligible;
- She must have completed her secondary school education
- Most likely she must be from marginalized areas and must have performed excellently in her education in spite of the odds before her
- She must clearly be in need of finance and must be from a humble background
- She must have leadership qualities and must have shown that in a position or number of positions
- She must have overcomes challenges such as financial needs and socio-cultural practices such female genital-mutilation or early marriage
You can apply via this link
- Algonquin College Undergraduate Scholarship for International Students
The Algonquin College Undergraduate Scholarship for International Students is an annual scholarship program designed for first year, first term post-secondary international students which, is wholly based on merit. To be awarded this scholarship, the student must be well above average and must be proficient in English Language.
To be eligible for the award of this scholarship, the candidate must:
- Be paying full international student fees absent of any other form of financial support in form of scholarship or bursaries.
- Be an international student
- Have completed all registration procedures for the upcoming semester after being accepted into the university
- Submitted a completed international student application package which must include; transcripts, a 500-word essay on the purpose for studying the chosen course, copies of academic transcript and scores for IELTS and TOEFL for students whose countries do not speak English as lingua franca.
To be selected, candidates would have better chances of being awarded if they have already been admitted and have met all conditions as it concerns registration and travelling.
- Vanier Canadian Graduate Scholarship
The Vanier Canadian Graduate Scholarship is an award designed to attract and retain world-class doctoral students who would contribute to the Canadian brand as an entity with global excellence in research and higher learning. The scholarship is awarded to students in the fields of natural science, engineering, social sciences and health. The scholarship is available to both Canadian and international PhD students.
To be eligible for the award of this scholarship, a candidate must:
- Be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident in Canada or an international student
- Have been nominated by one Canadian university with Vanier Canadian Graduate allocation
- Be pursuing first doctoral degree
- Have achieved a first-class average, as determined by your university, in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent
The selection criteria into the program are mostly based on:
- Academic excellence of the candidate.
- Leadership abilities
- Relevance of the proposed course of study to the development of their country or society
- Civic engagement
- Involvement of the candidate in educational life
- Personal achievement
For more information visit here
- Nelson Mandela Leader Of Tomorrow Scholarship
The Nelson Mandela Leaders Of Tomorrow scholarship named after the great former South African president is designed for young students who would become leaders in public policy and administration. The annual scholarship is awarded to students in public administration, public finances and public policy with two components; academic and professional.
To be eligible for this scholarship, the candidate must:
- Be a citizen of a sub-Saharan country, as well as must be a permanent resident in the country
- Be proficient in English or French
- Be between 22 and 35 years old during the duration of the program
- Have worked full-time for a minimum and maximum of two and five years respectively
- Have met all the requirements it takes to gain admission into a master’s degree programme in Canada
After completion of their academic files, candidates would be assessed based on:
- Academic excellence
- Potential contribution of the proposed course of study to the candidate’s country
- Professional experience
- Recommendation letters from notable entities
- Demonstrated leadership abilities
- Relevance and merit of the course of study
- The candidate would have to complete the online application form
- The candidate would also submit an abstract for a case study
- The candidate would also have to write a 500 to 700 essay on why he/she intends to study their chosen courses and how it would contribute to the growth of public policy and public administration in their country
- The candidate would also submit three reference letters; two academic and one professional
- The candidate would provide a copy of valid passport and national identity card
- The candidate would also need to provide results of language tests if they have studied in English or French.
For further information please visit here
- University of British Columbia International Leader of Tomorrow (ILOT) Undergraduate Scholarships
The University of British Columbia International Leader of Tomorrow is a scholarship awarded to international students who demonstrate superior academic achievement, leadership skills, involvement in student affairs and community service, recognized achievement in fields of endeavour such as the performing arts, sports, debating or creative writing, or external academic competitions and examinations.
To be eligible for the scholarship, a candidate must:
- The candidate must be nominated by their current school, the one they just graduated from or the university they are transferring from.
- Be applying for their first undergraduate degree
- Have an excellent academic graduate degree
- Have financial challenge that would have prevented them from achieving their academic pursuit
- An international student; not a citizen of Canada or a permanent resident of Canada
- Be admissible to the first choice program they are applying to, including meeting UBC’s English Language Admission Standard
- Be entering a UBC undergraduate degree program from a recognized secondary school, college or other university
For more information visit here
- Australia Awards Africa Scholarship Programme
Australia Awards Africa is an Australian government scholarship for Africans to gain funding to study in Australia on a professional training course or master’s degree. The programme is aimed at developing capacity and leadership skills so that those who are privileged to be awarded would apply would go back and be able to contribute to the development of their country. The scholarship is usually awarded to Africans who are not privileged enough to finance their education and there are three types of awards which are awarded to three different groups of applicants; Australia Awards Scholarships, Short Courses and Australia Award Fellowships.
For more information visit here
- Adelaide Scholarships International (ASI)
The Adelaide Scholarship International is a scholarship award programme designed by the University to attract excellent international students to areas of research so as to increase the research strength of the university.
Students who have completed their Australian first degree honours or equivalent and have not applied for any other research program in any other university or hold a doctorate are eligible. Also for students who have not studied in English, they would have to provide results of exams to prove their proficiency or did not enroll for the Pre-Enrolment English program would not be eligible. International students who are awarded the scholarship are to maintain their status as international students through the duration of the program as citizens of Australia and New Zealand including permanent residents are not allowed to apply for the program.
Visit here for more information.
- University of Westminster Full International Scholarships
The University of Westminster Full International Scholarships is a scholarship award designed for international students from developing countries who intend to study in the United Kingdom and earn their first degree. Eligibility for the program is hinged on being an exceptional student, being a citizen of a developing country and the course of study having the potential to contribute to the development of the student’s country.
For more information visit this link
- International Ambassador Scholarships at University of West London
The International Ambassador Scholarships at University of West London is awarded to international students who wish to act as ambassadors of the University of West London. The scholarship is awarded to non-EU international students and it is for both Bachelor and Master’s degree students.
For more information visit here