To those who have given it a shot and flunked it, scoring 800 in the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) might seem like a very tall order. The test has never been easy and there have been only been a few high achievers who has been able to hit the perfect figure. Although it is not easy to hit 800 in the GMAT, it is very possible. How does one get to score 800 and above, what is the magic?
Firstly, what is the “GMAT”
The Graduate Management Admission Tests (GMAT) is a standardized computer adaptive test which is used to assess analytical, writing, quantitative, verbal, logical reasoning and reading skills in English for use in admission to a graduate management program, such as an MBA. It is owned by the the Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC) which it started in 1953 with nine business schools, its basic method of knowledge measurement is grammar, algebra, geometry, and arithmetic, it is not based on intelligence measurement. According to Wikipedia, over 5,900 programs offered by about 2,100 universities and institutions around the world use the GMAT exam as part of the selection criteria for their entry requirements. The examination is administered in standardized test centers in 112 countries around the world including Nigeria.
The test helps schools and employers assesses analytical writing, data sufficiency, logic, and critical reasoning skills and problem-solving abilities which are necessary for real life business and management application.The GMAT test can be taken up to five times a year with each attempt at least 16 days apart.
Programs that require the GMAT test
- Master of Accountancy
- Master of Finance
Test format and time
- Analytical writing assessment; one essay with 30 minutes duration
- Integrated reasoning; 12 questions with 30 minutes duration
- Quantitative; 37 questions with 75 minutes duration
- Verbal; 41 questions with 75 minutes duration
These eight points which are stated here were gotten from statements and testimonials made by some of the outstanding few who has been able to take a shot at the GMAT and hit 800. These are eight simple straight to the point strategies that would help you in slaying the great GMAT:
- Make sure you are truly gifted when it comes to standardized tests. That would be a huge plus.
- Ensure you have a study plan. You should have a route which would lead you to success.
- Make sure to get all the right study materials. Materials like Official Guide (OG), Kaplan study guides and GMATPrep software. They are very vital and should not be overlooked.
- After acquiring the basic materials, also look out for other valuable materials to supplement them. They various materials of great value even on the internet. Get them.
- Try out the questions and after that review the answers especially those you failed.
- Make sure you truly understand the questions. Get additional help if need be.
- Avoid shaking your confidence by attempting only the super hard questions. Free your mind and try everything out.
- Master your brain. Work on building your mental stamina.
Click here for more information on the GMAT examination
I hope you’ll add these study methods to your already prepared strategy. But the truth is, strategies are useless without implementation.
I wish you success on your first or next attempt at the GMAT test!