Nigeria has been blessed with tons of great minds and brilliant intellectuals, this has been proven over and over again especially by those who have been able to strive beautifully amongst their counterparts outside the shores of the African continent. Each year, hundreds of international educational institutions from America, Europe and Asia flock the country looking to offer prospective Nigerian students eye-popping scholarships and grants to ease off the extra tension cash for these cushy foreign education.
Well, many are called but only a few distinct students will get these scholarship offers. There are also other forms of financial aids like: government or Non-governmental organizations grants, employer sponsorship or private individuals.
For this article I’ll be focusing on how to apply for scholarship grants for universities based in the US, UK and Canada.
It is important to note that every scholarship has its application procedure but I would try to bunch them in together especially in areas where the factors in all universities might be the same. But you must note that it is very important to visit their individual websites to get the direct procedures on how to process your scholarship application.
Here is how you to apply for international scholarships from universities in the United States of America, Canada and the United Kingdom
- Search for the available university scholarships in the different countries you’re interested in.
- Firstly, it is very important to understand the nature of the scholarship you are applying for. Most offer discounts, partial and full tuition cover while a select few cater to personal expenses.
- Check your eligibility status. It would be a waste of time applying for a scholarship that you are not eligible for. This can include your bachelor degree grades, English requirements, country eligibility, etc.
- Check the selection criteria and see if they are in your favour.
- Understand that most free scholarships are given to those who would be willing to return back to their country to help develop it. If your desire is stay put after your education, you might have to seek some other means of support.
- It is advisable to wait till you have been admitted and completed all necessary admission requirements before applying. Most universities would not award the scholarship to a student who has not gained admission into an educational institution.
- Make sure you apply through the appropriate channels. Online or scholarship processing centres, etc.
…below is a list of some scholarships from the US, Canada and the UK which are available to Nigerian international students:
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Canada)
- University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowships (Canada)
- Pierre Elliot Trudeau Foundation Doctoral Scholarships (Canada)
- University of Calgary Graduate Awards (Canada)
- Cambridge International Scholarships (United Kingdom)
- Westminster Full Fee Scholarships for International Students (United Kingdom)
- Westminster-ISH Scholarships for International Students (United Kingdom)
- International Ambassador Scholarships at the University of West London (United Kingdom)
- Stanford MBA Fellowship (United States of America)
- MasterCard Foundation Scholarship Programme (United States of America)
I hope that I’ve been of some assistance to you, please like, share and comment in the section below.