South Korea is a country in East Asia, it occupies the southern part of the Korean Peninsula, with North Korea to the north, China across the sea to the west and Japan to the southeast. The country is densely populated with majority being Koreans and various minorities like Chinese, Mongolian, Bangladesh, Southeast Asia and other parts of world the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, Ireland and South Africa. (Wikitravel)
The climate is characterized with four distinct seasons such as winter, summer, autumn, and spring. South Korea is a lovely study location with an array of student friendly cities such as Seoul, Busan, Pohang, Daejeon, etc. It is a highly technological country with an equally competitive standard of living; students are bound to enjoy good food, drinking, entertainment, internet, shopping, transportation, and lovely culture.
For our article on the best 10 schools in South Korea, please click here
Nigerian international students with intentions to study in South Korea will require a Student D-2 visa from the Embassy of the republic of Korea. The South Korean student visa is granted to students who want to undertake a study program in the country as either a foreign exchange student, undergraduate, postgraduate or doctoral study. This student visa to South Korea is granted under the precondition that the student will return to his/her country of legal permanent residence upon completion of his/her studies.
In order to apply for the South Korea student visa, you must submit all compulsory and relevant documentations to the South Korea visa application centre (VFS Global) in Abuja.
When you apply for a student D-2 visa, you must submit the following documents in original and clear photocopies in person at the South Korea Visa Application Centre in Abuja. The necessary documents required and to be submitted by visa applicants include;
- A properly filled visa application form (with one passport photograph attached). Click here to download the South Korean visa application form.
- International passport. You can process your international passport at your nearest immigration office. Click here for our article on how to process your international passport.
- Photocopy of international passport bio-data page
- Study plan
- Photocopy of National ID card/Drivers license/Voters card/Work ID/Student ID (Original ID Card will be checked)
- Originals and photocopies of latest academic certificates and results such as;
- Affidavit from the Nigerian High court declaring ownership of certificates thus proving your graduation
- Notarization of certificate and affidavit from Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Official letter issued and stamped by Dean (including contact number)
- Personal bank account statement (at least for a period of 3 months and issued within 14days) proving applicant’s financial ability to support him/herself (tuition fee and finance for stay for the period of study)
- AFFIDAVIT proving your family relations when submitting parents’ bank accounts; original copy / the document must indicate English spelling of applicant’s parents’ names
- Flight booking information
- Documents to be prepared by Universities and Institutions to be submitted by student visa applicants;
- Standard acceptance letter (with a photocopy of data page)
- Photocopy of business registration Certificate of a respective education institute
All certificates and letters of recommendation must be legalized by the South Korean embassy, for legalization via VFS Global, these are the requirements;
- The document must be (recently) notarized by the ministry of foreign affairs
- Letter of recommendation from dean ( head of Institution as applicable)
- Affidavit (original copy) from a High Court – declaring ownership of the document
- Photocopy of International passport (2 copies)
- Service charge of N3,000 per document
Visa Application Fees
The approved standard visa application fees for the South Korea D-2 student visas are N12, 000 for single visa (less than 90 days), N18,000 for single visa (more than 91 days), N21,000 for double entry visa and N27,000 for multi entry visa. There is an application submission service charge of N5, 000 levied per application added to the visa fees. Payment is made at the bank teller counter in the application centre only. Kindly carry the applicant’s 1st page Passport photocopy while paying the service fee and the visa fee at the GT bank.
Visa Application Process
The visa applications are submitted at the South Korea Visa Application Centre in Abuja. After submission of documents at the Visa Application Centre, you can also check the status of your application online by simply providing the unique VAC Reference Number and your Date of Birth. VAC reference number can be found on the Invoice-Cum-Receipt provided by Submission Officer at the Visa Application Centre at the time of submission.
The Embassy of the Republic of Korea, Abuja will return processed passports to the Visa Application Centre in Abuja. Applicants must indicate how they would like to collect their passports and / or documents, i.e. by subscribing for a Courier Services with a prepaid envelope at the time of application submission or by collecting it from the Visa Application Centre in Abuja.
The Embassy would take a minimum of ten working days for all passports after the submission of all documents.
South Korea visa application submission and passport collection times are between 08:00AM to 15:00PM on Mondays – Fridays except on weekends and Nigerian and Korean public holidays.
Korea visa applicant must collect his/her passport within 3 months after receiving passport collecting message from VFS Global. If not, the passport will be a subject of disposal by the Embassy.
South Korea Visa Application Centre, Abuja
62, Lobito Crescent,
Telephone +234 815 018 8800
South Korean Embassy, Abuja
9, Ovia Crescent,
Off Pope John Paul II Street,
Telephone +234 -9- 461 2701
Note: If you will like to read various posts on top schools, visas and immigration like this, especially on Traveling to foreign countries such as Tourism, Education, Visiting and Permanent Visa and Immigration to USA, UK, Australia, Europe including France, Belgium, Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands, Germany and Switzerland, please subscribe to our newsletter below. We will send you updates any time there’s a new post. We promise it is 100% spam free!