Italy is a beautiful and serene peninsular country with a diverse historical and cultural importance. It has a diverse landscape which includes mountains, lakes, islands, volcanoes, and various coastal cities. It is characterized by fantastic cuisine, trendy fashion, luxury sports cars, motorcycles and races, islands and towns like Venice, Tuscany, Sardinia, Sicily, Capri, Rome (a city on seven hills). It is also home to some of the major monuments in history such as the Coliseum, the leaning tower of Pisa, the Pantheon, the Trevi fountain, and lots of western European art.
If you intend to study in Italy as a Nigerian International Student, I’ve compiled an array of the ten best schools which you can choose from here. After gaining admission into an Italian university, you’ll require a student visa to travel. The Italian student visa is issued to foreigners invited by Italian Public Agencies, Institutions, Organizations (public or private but reputable and well-known) to participate in a study course or programme. The maximum length of stay is above 90 days.
In order to be eligible for an Italian study visa you must fulfill the following requirements;
- Valid travel document i.e. International passport, whose expiry date is three months longer than that of the visa requested
- Proof that the applicant has accommodation in Italy: hotel booking, declaration of hospitality, or rented accommodation
- Proof that the applicant has sufficient means of subsistence for their stay in Italy, for an amount not lower than that specified in Table A annexed to the Directive of the Ministry of the Interior (1st March 2000). Click here to view
- Proof that you’re entitled to health insurance in Italy by virtue of agreements with Nigeria or a private medical care
- Enrolment in postgraduate courses (master’s degrees, doctorates, specializations, training programmes) at Italian Universities, public or private, authorized to award qualifications having legal value
Click here to determine your eligibility for an Italian visa
When you apply for a Italian student national long stay visa you must submit the following compulsory documents:
- A properly completed and signed Italy Entry Visa Application Form, click here to download
- Two recent passport-size photographs in dimensions of 35 – 40 mm, full face capture.
- A valid international passport, whose expiry date is three months longer than that of the visa, requested with a minimum of three (3) consecutive empty pages. You can process your international passport at your nearest immigration office. Click here for our article on how to process your international passport.
- Three copies of your international passport bio-data page showing your passport number, date of birth, country of origin, etc.
- Travel medical insurance certificate. It is required that the insurance covers all days you are planning to stay in the Schengen area, this document must cover medical costs of up to €30,000. Click here for our article on where to get your travel insurance
- Proof of financial income and sufficient funds via a bank account statement, scholarship certificate grants and financial documentations/guarantees of your sponsor. It is required to cover all living, study, accommodation, healthcare, entertainment and return travel costs for the school year 2016/2017
- Photocopy of sponsor’s international passport
- The letter of admission acceptance on an official letterhead from an accredited Italian higher educational institution either public or private attesting to your admittance
- Original and photocopies of legalized birth records, school certificates and academic records (Bachelor degree, WAEC, etc) used for obtaining your admission to the Italian institute from the Ministry of Education, Foreign Affairs and the Italian consulate, Documents legalization. Click here to download the form
- Proof that the applicant has accommodation in Italy and flight booking itinerary
- A typed information sheet providing the following details as per their passport; full names, date of birth, passport number, nationality, phone number, email, travel itinerary, etc
Visa Application Fees
The approved standard visa application fees for the Italy student visa is N11, 600, payment is made in cash at the nearest GTbank teller counter after your visa application perusal at the Italian consulate in Lagos. Take not that you will be charged extra of €50 for visa administration fees and biometric data collection for The Visa Information System.
Visa Application Process
All birth records, school certificates and academic records (Bachelor degree, WAEC, etc) used for obtaining your admission to the Italian institute must be legalized by the Italian Consulate in Lagos before application. You must book an appointment online via this link, download the form here for more information.
The Italian study visa applications are submitted at the Consulate General of Italy, located in Lagos, applications submitted will be assessed by The Consulate General of Italy for visa approval. Note that a personal interview with the consulate immigrations officer may require at The Consulate General of Italy in Lagos before a decision can be made on your visa application. You must book an appointment online via this link.
To complete your visa application process, you must bring along your Italian Study visa application form and all necessary supporting documents mentioned above to the Consulate General of Italy in Lagos, except on Nigerian and Italian public holidays.
Collection of passports back from VFS Visa Application Centre is from 11:00AM to 16:00PM on Mondays – Fridays in Lagos.
Biometric Data Collection
Biometric details will be collected from you at the visa application centre for the visa information system; this helps to ascertain your identity and travel status. This is done in a quick, discreet process that captures a facial image with a digital camera and a 10-digit fingerprint scan with a digital finger scanner.
Your face must be clearly visible for a photograph to be taken. If you wear a head or neck covering for religious reasons you must ensure your face is clearly visible, from the bottom of your chin to above your eyebrows including both cheeks. You may also need to remove your glasses when the photograph is taken.
Visa Processing Time
The Italian study visa application process takes duration of 21 working days.
On Arrival in Italy
After arriving in Italy, you must apply for a residence permit (Permesso di Soggiorno) by registering with the local police. International students on a long-stay student visa of more than 90 days must apply for a residence permit at the local post office and may have only eight working days from arrival while international students on a short-stay student visa of up to 90 days must make a declaration of presence (Dichiarazione di Presenza) to the local police (Questura). As a general rule, you must carry the declaration of presence or residence permit with you in case of being asked to show it to police or public safety officers.
Italy Visa Application Centre, Lagos
Plot 110, Admiral Ayinla Way,
Opposite Treasure Garden Estate,
Third Roundabout, Lekki Phase I
Consulate General of Italy in Lagos
12, Walter Carrington Crescent,
Telephone +234 1 44 85 696
Note: If you will like to read various posts on top schools, visas and immigration like this, especially on Traveling to foreign countries such as Tourism, Education, Visiting and Permanent Visa and Immigration to USA, UK, Australia, Europe including France, Belgium, Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands, Germany and Switzerland, please subscribe to our newsletter below. We will send you updates any time there’s a new post. We promise it is 100% spam free!