Hungary is a beautiful country in central Europe, it is a nice destination for international study offering vivid sceneries, low cost of living, low tuition costs, government educational support with a great accessibility to the Western and Eastern Europe. The best locations for studies in Hungary are Budapest, Debrecen, Szeged, and Corvinus.
For a detailed article on eight of the best schools and application processes to Hungarian Universities, click here.
Nigerian international students will need to apply for a D-5 student visa and residence permit through the Hungarian embassy in order to legally study in the country. The Hungarian D-5 student visa is required for individuals who intend to study in a Hungarian institute, college or university for a short period of 6 months, while for a longer period of above 6 months; you’ll require a student residence permit alongside your student visa which is issued by the Regional Directorate of the Office for Immigration and Nationality in Hungary. The D-5 visa is a multiple entry visa and normally takes up to 60 days to process.
Here are the required supporting documents necessary for a Hungary D-5 student visa application;
- International Passport which must be valid for at least one year after your intended stay, with two empty leaflets at the back, passport must have been issued within the last 10 years. You can process your international passport at your nearest immigration office. Click here for our article on how to process your international passport
- A properly filled and duly signed visa application form, click here to download
- One passport size photograph. The photos should measure 35 x 45 mm. The length of the face should not be smaller than 25 mm or longer than 35 mm, in colour, full face capture, white background, no wigs, glasses
- Proof of medical insurance, It is required that the insurance covers all days you are planning to stay in Hungary, this document must cover medical costs of up to €30,000. Click here for our article on where to get your travel insurance
- Parent’s or guardian’s bank statements, inclusive of a summarized statement from the bank to show the balance in Euros or Dollars (this document must be notarized).
- A notarized letter of commitment from the parent or guardian that he or she will support the student during his / her education in Hungary.
- Proof of sufficient funds of your parent/guarantor, the parent/guarantor must have adequate means of subsistence and stand surety for any costs incurred by the student in terms of health treatment, residence in Hungary and repatriation, for at least one academic year. The parent/guarantor must have proof of regular income.
- Evidence of relationship with sponsor if not a parent
- Proof of scholarship grant or sponsorship to cover subsistence if applicable
- Official letter of acceptance from a Hungarian university
- Attestation from the school indicating payment of tuition fees
- Certificate of occupancy of accommodation in Hungary in a school hostel or private accommodation
- Secondary Education results i.e. WAEC, NECO
- Students degree and academic records (Bachelor/Masters certificate, Transcripts), proof of studies: – equivalent Diploma or degree requested (legalized)
- The applicable Visa fee of €60.
Hungary Student Visa Application Processing
You need to submit the residence permit application at the Hungarian Embassy in Abuja in person. The decision on residence permit with study purposes will be made within 21 days.
All international students are required to register their place of residence with the local authorities, as soon as possible after arrival. After you arrive in Budapest, you can arrange your residence permit (non-EEA) at the Office of Immigration and Nationality (in Hungarian: Bevándorlási és Állampolgársági Hivatal, abbreviated as BÁH). For full application process on Temporary Settlement Permit, click here.
Hungary Embassy In Nigeria
61, Jose Marti Crescent
Note: If you will like to read various posts on top schools, visas and immigration like this, especially on Traveling to foreign countries such as Tourism, Education, Visiting and Permanent Visa and Immigration to USA, UK, Australia, Europe including France, Belgium, Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands, Germany and Switzerland, please subscribe to our newsletter below. We will send you updates any time there’s a new post. We promise it is 100% spam free!