Cyprus is a beautiful large island republic in the Mediterranean Sea, situated by the south of Turkey, Sicily and Sardinia on the Asian continent. It is a member of the European and Schengen region. It is particularly nice and serene for Nigerian international students. Cyprus has established a reputation for quality higher learning with an educational system which consists of some prestigious universities and institutions in Europe.
Some of the benefits for studying in Cyprus include;
- High quality education
- Professional and competent academic staff
- Internationally accredited programs
- Low cost of living ranging from $350 – $600 per month
- Affordable tuition fees €3600 – €7000 per year
For our article on the top seven schools in Cyprus and admission application processes, click here.
If you do have an interest to study in Cyprus, and this is how to apply for a Cyprus student visa. A study visa is issued for students who intend to study at a government approved Cyprus university or institute. The student visa to Cyprus is granted under the precondition that the student will return to his/her country of legal permanent residence upon completion of his/her studies, it is issued by the Civil Archive and Migration Department in Cyprus.
To apply for your Cyprus student visa, these are the necessary documents required;
- A properly completed and signed Cyprus visa application form, click here to download
- Four recent passport photographs with white background and full face capture
- An international passport valid for at least 1 year after your intended stay in the country, it must have at least a blank page. Passport must have been issued in the last ten years. You can also submit previous passports with visas and stamps; this can help assess your travel history. You can process your international passport at your nearest immigration office. Click here for our article on how to process your international passport
- Undergraduate programmes: Original Senior/High school leaving certificates with grades reports and two sets of attested copies of the original school documents.
Postgraduate programmes: Original Bachelor/Master’s degree with grades reports and two sets of attested copies of the original certificates.
- Original proof of financial income and sufficient funds via bank sponsorship letter or statement with a minimum equivalent of €7000. Scholarship certificate grants and financial documentations/guarantees from your sponsor are also allowed. This is required to cover all living, study, accommodation, healthcare, entertainment and return travel costs for the school year 2016/2017
- Original police character certification indicating that you have no prior convictions and a model citizen. Click here to find out how you can process one.
- Original medical certificates- (HIV, Hepatitis B, Yellow Fever, Hepatitis C, Syphilis & Tuberculosis)
- Tuition fees payment receipt from your institution or university in Cyprus
- Original bank (money transfer) receipt of the tuition fees payment to the University. The University’s name and account number, and the applicant’s full name must be clearly stated on the receipt.
- Final admission offer letter from your institute or university in Cyprus detailing the following;
1.The applicant’s full name
2. The name of the institution
3. What course/programme the applicant has been admitted to
4. The duration of the course/programme
5. Details of tuition fees
Note that other documentations may be required by the Cyprus consular officers during visa application and interview.
Visa Application Fees
The approved standard visa application fee for the Cyprus student visa is €60. Biometric data collection for the visa application is done at the embassy in Abuja.
Visa Application Process
Cyprus student visa application is submitted at the Cyprus embassy in Abuja. Applications submitted will be assessed by the Cyprus Embassy in Abuja for forwarding to the Civil Archive and Migration Department for final visa approval consideration.
Once the visa is obtained, a copy will be presented to the student.
The visa procedure takes about one month that’s why it is necessary to file an application at least 2-3 months before the expected date of enrollment.
On Arrival in Cyprus
Students must report to the educational institution on the first working day after their arrival in order to register and proceed with the remaining formalities needed for the issue of a temporary residence permit.
International students should register with the District Police Alien Branch within seven days as from the day of arrival in Cyprus. They are also obliged to proceed for medical examinations on the first working day after their arrival, to submit the relevant medical certificates to the District Police Alien Branch within one week from the date of arrival.
Embassy of Cyprus,
Abuja Capital Motors,
Central Business District,
High Commission of Cyprus,
AG Leventis Nigeria,
Note: If you will like to read various posts on top schools, visas and immigration like this, especially on Traveling to foreign countries such as Tourism, Education, Visiting and Permanent Visa and Immigration to USA, UK, Australia, Europe including France, Belgium, Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands, Germany and Switzerland, please subscribe to our newsletter below. We will send you updates any time there’s a new post. We promise it is 100% spam free!