India is one of the fastest-developing countries in the world; it is particularly strong in the fields of medicine, technology and engineering. Indian universities have relatively high learning and education standards with cheap tuition fees which could be as low as $3,000 – 6,000/year. Living expenses in India can vary with accommodation (on-campus or off), meals and transportation costing about $210.40 – $300.00. As an international student you can spend a total of about $1,800/year (Topuniversities.com). I recently profiled 10 of the best institutions in India; you can read up on that article here.
If you want to study in India as a Nigerian international student, I have written a step-by-step guide on how you can apply for your India student visa from Nigeria easily.
The Indian student visa is issued to a visa applicant who intends to undergo educational study in India. Student visas are short-term visas usually ranging from 3 months to 3 years (PH.D) that allows a person to visit and stay in India for the total time duration of the educational course applied for at the Indian institution, college or university.
India Student Visa Application Requirements
The India student visa must be applied for in person at the India high commission in Lagos. The visa and immigration application requirements include the following:
- An international passport valid for at least 6 months after your intended stay in the country, it must have at least two blank pages. You can also submit previous passports with visas and stamps; this can help assess your travel history. You can process your international passport at your nearest immigration office. Click here for our article on how to process your international passport.
- One photocopy of the bio data page of the international passport
- Two passport photographs of the size 50 mm X 50 mm (2 inch x 2 inch) with white background, Passports should be glued on your visa application forms in the box provided on pages 1 and 2.
- A duly completed online visa application form. The forms should be signed in the box under the photograph on page 1 and at the end of page 2. Your signatures should match with the signature printed on your passport. Click here to begin
- Applicants must provide their own contact details including e-mail address, visa application will be refused if false.
- Original copy of university admission letter duly signed and stamped from an Indian university, institution or college indicating provisional admission into a full time course of study.
- Copies of the student visa applicant’s previous education qualification i.e. WAEC senior school certificate, university transcripts, bachelor degree certificate, diploma, etc.
- A copy of the visa applicants’ birth certificate
- Letter of financial support from the applicant’s parents or guardian inclusive of a government issued ID card and a certified bank account statement of last three months issued by the parents/guardian’s bank in his/her name, stating the ability to afford all tuition and living expenses in India for the total duration of the educational study. In the case of sponsorship, a letter of financial consent properly addressed, stamped and signed by the sponsor, along with a copy of his/her government issued identity Card or international passport should be attached.
- Yellow fever, polio, IPV vaccination certificate for all applicants except infants under six months.
- Receipt of visa fee payment of $252.00 (N80,640) including surcharge of $2.00 (N640), this is only accepted at the Sterling Bank counter in the Indian High Commission premises in Abuja or Lagos. Note that visa fees are non refundable, so do not conclude travel arrangements until you’re issued a visa.
- Evidence of funds transfer sufficient for 4 months stay in India, this could be in the form of a traveler’s cheque or transfer into an Indian bank account in the visa applicant’s name.
Additional documents may be required during the interview at the discretion of the Consular Officer, ensure that you can easily provide them.
India Visa Application Process
The visa application process includes five stages such as;
- Log on to Indiavisaonline, fill your online visa application form and print out form
- Pay your India student visa application fee of $252 at the Sterling Bank counter in the Indian High Commission in Lagos
- Submit your application form and all supporting documents to the consular officer at the Indian High Commission in Lagos
- Attend your visa interview and provide extra documentation if needed
- Collect your passport/visa from the Indian High Commission
Visa application submissions are between 10:00AM to 12:00AM on all working days. Visa should be applied for in person at the High commission in Lagos or Abuja.
India High Commission, Abuja
364, Cadastral Zone,
Central Business Area (CBA),
Telephone: +234 708 062 2800-4
India High Commission, Lagos
8A, Walter Carrington Crescent,
Note: If you will like to read various posts on top schools, visas and immigration like this, especially on Traveling to foreign countries such as Tourism, Education, Visiting and Permanent Visa and Immigration to USA, UK, Australia, Europe including France, Belgium, Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands, Germany and Switzerland, please subscribe to our newsletter below. We will send you updates any time there’s a new post. We promise it is 100% spam free!