A few days ago, we profiled an article on the best schools to study in Australia, but in order to fulfill your wish to study in Australia; you must apply for a Student Visa subclass 500 and also pass all necessary eligibility interviews by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) for visa approval.
The Australia student visa subclass 500 is a general visa for students (16 or over) which allows them to stay in Australia to study full-time in an accredited education institution. You must have been offered provisional admission into an Australian institution and have made appropriate welfare arrangements for the duration of your intended stay in Australia if you are below the age of 18. This visa allows you to bring eligible family members with you to Australia, you and these family members can also work for a specified number of hours, and stay in Australia for the total duration of your course.
In July 2016, the simplified student visa framework (SSVF) came into effect. This was designed to enable a simpler student visa application process for genuine students. You can therefore apply for this student visa if you intend studying in the following categories:
- English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS)
- Primary or secondary elementary school
- Secondary school exchange program
- Vocational Education and Training (VET) courses for the award of an advanced diploma
- Higher education courses – a bachelor or associate degree, a graduate certificate or graduate diploma, a masters degree by coursework or a higher education diploma or advanced diploma
- Postgraduate Research degrees
- Non-award courses
- Students sponsored by the Department of Foreign Affairs or Trade or the Department of Defense.
To ascertain your Australia student visa eligibility, you must pass the Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) integrity measure phase. This is a requirement that indicates if the visa applicant can demonstrate a genuine intention to stay in Australia temporarily for the purpose of study or to accompany a student as a dependent (i.e. spouse, child or a guardian). The officers at the DIBP will consider the following factors:
- The circumstances in your home country
- The potential circumstances for you in Australia
- The value of your chosen course to your future
- Your immigration history
- Any other relevant matters
In order to determine whether you are both a genuine student and a GTE, you may be asked to attend an interview at the Australian embassy or consulate.
Australia Student Visa Eligibility
- You must have a provisional admission offered by an Australian school or university, this can be represented with a Confirmation of Enrollment (CoE) certificate
- Evidence of financial support for the course and yourself
- Satisfy the English language requirements for Australia
Australia Student Visa requirements
- A valid Nigerian international passport with a full blank page and six months validity
- Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)certificate for all intended courses or Admission offer letter
- A properly completed visa application Form 157A, click here, register for your ImmiAccount and proceed to fill online
- An applicant under the age of 18 must provide Form 157N – nomination of a student guardian in Australia, Form 1229 – Consent form, consent letter, or sole custody court order for a single parent, proposed care arrangement and evidence of money held by parent or legal guardian
- A copy of the parent or legal guardian bio-data page of their current passport for children under the age of 18
- Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) statement purpose to indicate only temporary stay in Australia
- Two recent colour passport photograph
- Photocopy of international passport bio data page
- Birth certificate or government issued ID to verify your identity
- Evidence of financial capacity for course fees, living costs, travel. This can be indicated by an original bank statement which is at least 3 months period duration, letter of consent for scholarship grants, money deposits, annual income of AUS$60,000
- Previous passports or visas to indicate your travel history
- A certified copy of your marriage certificate if you’re married
- Health insurance cover throughout the duration of stay, this can be purchased through your university or from the five approved providers namely the Australian Health Management, BUPA Australia, Medibank Private, Allianz Global Assistance and nib Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). The average cost of OSHC is AUS$437 for 12 months for a single student
- Health assessment certificate and evidence of chest x-ray screening, polio and yellow fever vaccination certificate. Click here for DFBP approved physicians
- Police clearance certificate assessment for character
- Evidence of English language proficiency assessment taken no more than two years before student visa application i.e. IELTS test result sheet with scores 5.5, TOEFL paper based 527, TOEFL internet based test 46, Cambridge English Advanced 162, etc
- Evidence of your education qualifications. This may include a certified copy of your academic transcripts, educational Certificate (Degree, Diploma etc.) or letter/statement from your education institution
- Evidence of employment details if any i.e. curriculum vitae
- Evidence of enrolment in a school in Australia for each child (aged 5 -18) for dependents
Application Process, Submission and Collection
The Australian student visa application process includes the following:
- Open an ImmiAccount, fill all online forms appropriately
- Update passport details
- Scan all documents
- Attach scanned copies to your online application when asked.
- Provide certified copies of your documents.
- Submit all documents with your application
- Provide biometric information via visa application centre i.e. Teleperformance
After you have applied, any additional documentation you need to submit should be uploaded into ImmiAccount. If you provide your documents through any other channel, it will result in processing delays. Do not make arrangements to travel to Australia or leave your job until you have received notification from us, in writing, that you have been granted a visa.
A Transaction Reference Number (TRN) will be issued to you for visa application tracking, this is a unique number assigned to each online application. You will need this to identify your application when you communicate with the DIBP and check your visa entitlements. Most applications will take about four weeks to process depending on your application eligibility.
If a visa is granted to you, the DIBP will let you know the visa number and the necessary conditions attached to the visa via email or your ImmiAccount.
Australia Student Visa fees
Visa fees costs Aus$550 (N132,963) to apply, but you’ll be required to pay additional surcharges for biometrics and COT for credit cards (if you use online payments). This is due for payment during your application; it can be paid online using Mastercard, Paypal, Visa or at the Teleperformance Lagos and Abuja locations. Click here for extra TLS service
For further Information, click here
Visa Application Centre Address
Australia Visa Application Centre Lagos
Teleperformance Contact Processing Services Ltd
5th & 6th Floors, Etiebets place,
21 Mobolaji Bank Anthony Way
Australia Visa Application Centre Abuja
Teleperformance Contact Processing Services Ltd
3rd Floor, Yakub Plaza,
Plot 1129, Zakariya Maimalari Street, Opposite War College,
Central Business Area, Abuja
Australia High Commission Nigeria
5th Floor, Oakland Centre
48 Aguiyi Ironsi Street