Every year, thousands of Nigerians travel to the UK to attend the top twenty of the most prestigious academies. This is either to boast their employability, better education standards or courses of study. With a good variety of scholarships available, it is not just the dreams of the high net worth individuals but also for the middle and lower class as well. TravelLounge recently profiled an article on the best schools to study in the UK, now it’s time to educate you on how to process your UK Student (Tier 4) visa from Nigeria
This article provides you with all the information needed to secure a UK student visa from Nigeria. We have highlighted some of the most important information required such as Visa Eligibility Required Documents Visa Cost Processing times Embassy Details and the Application Forms in order for you to have a smooth process. Please take your time to read all the details, if you require further assistance, please join Travel Lounge – a Nigerian Travelers Network for a professional consultation and assistance.
How Nigerians Can Get a Student Visa to the UK
The UK student (Tier 4) visa is a general visa for young individuals (16 or over) who have been offered provisional admission in a UK institution, proficient in English, enough financial backing or capabilities for support throughout his/her study’s duration. The most favorable time to apply is three (3) months before you start your course of study, this is to avoid refusal due to late application. After visa approval, you can arrive up to one (1) week before if your course lasts six (6) months or up to one (1) month before, if your course lasts more than six (6) months. Note that you are only allowed to study, work non-professional jobs, apply to extend your stay, possibly bring a dependent but you’re not allowed to get public funds, study at a local authority funded school.
Eligibility Requirements for UK Student Visa in Nigeria
If you want to travel to the UK as a student, you must have the following:
- A Nigerian passport document,
- Provisional admission offered by a UK school or university, this can be represented with a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies number (CAS),
- Evidence of financial support for the course and yourself.
The steps shown below will provide you with all the information on how to travel to the UK as a Student:
- Getting a Nigerian Passport:
- Visit the Nigerian Immigration office in your state
- Request for an official international passport
You can also read up on the guidelines for the Nigerian passport processing at the Nigerian Immigration office here
- Applying for Admissions:
- Check for schools in a UK, Scotland or Irish City or University of Interest
- Know their entry requirements and deadline
- Prepare for tests (these can include IELTS English proficiency test, scholarship exams, etc), write a statement of purpose, request references
- Apply for an admission following the entry requirements rules
- You can also read up on the best schools in the UK here
- Apply for Visa:
- Visa appointment procedure
- Visa application filling procedures
- Passport submission and collection
- Await visa processing and approval
- Book your flight:
- The UK has 5 major airports – see the Airport section for more information.
- Ensure you book a flight closer to the city which you intend to study.
Documents Required for UK Student Visa in Nigeria
At Travel Lounge Nigeria we believe there is a general rule that governs the documents required for a Visa application. Before you consider applying for a UK Student Visa (or any other Visa – in most cases), you will need to provide the following required information below.
The documents you typically need for a UK Student Visa are:
- A valid Nigerian international passport
- The personal data page that shows your birth date, country of origin, etc. with a photocopy,
- Any pages of your passport with stamps, visas or markings to indicate your travel history,
- A full blank page and six months passport validity
- Proof of Travel History
You must provide information on your valid visa from the United States/United Kingdom/Canada as well as previous travel history. This can include copies of;
- Your previous passports and/or visas (used within the last 10 years to travel outside your country)
- Entry and exit stamps
- Study and/or work permits that indicate your duration outside of your country (if applicable)
- Expired or valid visas
- Boarding passes
- If you hold a valid visa from the United States/United Kingdom, Canada or Europe, provide a clear, scanned copy of your visa. If you are living outside your country of citizenship, please submit a copy of your immigration status document for the country where you currently reside. This could be a work permit, study permit, visa, or any other document that authorizes you to be in the country where you are living.
- UK student visa application form
- A properly completed visa application form, including the self assessment form (appendix 8) this is usually filled online, click here
- One recent colour passport photograph (size: 45mm X 35mm)
- Evidence of provisional admission into a UK school or university
- This evidence include your CAS reference number, and
- Admission documents used to obtain CAS reference number, these documents may include WAEC certificate, Diploma, Bachelor degree, Masters’ degree, etc.
- Evidence of financial sufficiency for course fees and living costs
This can be indicated by;
- Your original bank statements which covers the past four to six months
- A bank draft in convertible currency
- Pay stubs
- An employment letter
- Proof of assets or business
- Tax reports, declarations or statements
- A letter from the person or institution providing you with money in cases of sponsorship or scholarships
- Health certificate and evidence of tuberculosis screening
- English proficiency assessments
- TOEFL and,
- WAEC where applicable
- Family Information
- Legal guardians’ letter of consent for applicants under the age of 18
- Birth certificate for under-18 proposed care arrangement and money held by parent or legal guardian
UK Student Visa Application Form for Nigerians Online
The UK visa and immigration application process is done through Teleperformance Contact (TLS); they are a commercial company which works hand-in-hand with the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) office. To begin your application process, you have to visit HERE to fill your application form, pay your fees and book your visa appointment for TLScontact visa application centres (some centres require payments for usage, which you can pay for on the UKVI website).
UK Student Visa Application Submission and Visa Appointment for Nigerians Online
After filling the online form, you will be given a unique GWF reference number (be sure to save it because it’ll be needed throughout your visa application duration); a confirmation email for your TLS appointment date, location, and supporting documents will also be sent to you. After that, you’ll be required to register your details on the TLS website to avoid unnecessary delays; also your visa application can be tracked and payment for value added services can be done using this website.
When attending your appointment at UK Visa Application Centre you should bring along your printed online application form, appointment confirmation, passport and all your supporting documents. After paying your visa application fees, your digital biometrics will be required at the application centre, after this process, your visa fees will no longer be refundable. After consideration by the UKVI office, any other required document or interview will be contacted to you via email.
UK Student Visa Passport Collection in Nigeria
Submissions of Nigerian International Passports are on Monday to Friday between 08:30AM to 04:30PM except on public holidays. Note that late attendance will require appointment re-booking.
UK Student Visa Processing Time in Nigeria
Visa application processing can take within 28 working days. Passport collection time is on Mondays – Fridays between 10:00AM to 04:00PM except on public holidays. For collection, you’re to come with your application documents; Government issued ID card, and a photocopy of your passport bio data page.
UK Student Visa Cost and Processing Fees for Citizens in Nigeria
Visa fees costs £335 to apply, but you’ll be required to pay a healthcare surcharge of £150/Year plus extra if you spend more months, this is due for payment before your appointment or during your application. For priority Visa service a charge of £150 will be required for applicants to receive visa decisions within 5 – 7 working days, this is paid on the TLS website only.
UK Student Visa Application Centre Address in Nigeria
UK Visa Application Centre in Victoria Island, Lagos
Teleperformance Contact Processing Services Ltd
First floor, Churchgate Tower II
Plot PC31, Churchgate Street, Victoria Island, Lagos
+234 1 2692188-92
+234 1 2615047
+234 1 261020
UK Visa Application Centre in Ikeja, Lagos
Teleperformance Contact Processing Services Ltd
5th & 6th Floors, Etiebets place,
21 Mobolaji Bank Anthony Way
UK Visa Application Centre Abuja
Teleperformance Contact Processing Services Ltd
3rd Floor, Yakub Plaza,
Plot 1129, Zakariya Maimalari Street, Opposite War College,
Central Business Area, Abuja
Embassy Address for UK Student Visa in Nigeria
Here’s a detailed list of the UK Embassies in Nigeria. The UK embassies are located in Lagos and Abuja. The Address, Phone Numbers and Email Address for the UK Embassy in Abuja and Lagos are listed below:
List of the UK Embassies in Nigeria for a UK Student Visa Application:
The British High Commission in Abuja
Address: 19 Torrens Close, Mississippi, Maitama, Abuja, Nigeria
Phone Local: +234 9 4622200
International: 020 7008 1500
Hours of Operation: Monday – Thursday: 8AM – 4PM, Friday: 8AM – 1PM
The British High Commission in Lagos
Address: Consular, and Visa Sections, 11 Walter Carrington Crescent, Victoria Island, Lagos, Nigeria
Phone Local: + 234 1 277 0780/0781/0782
International: 020 7008 1500
Hours of Operation: Monday to Thursday: 8.30 AM – 12:00PM, Friday: 8.30 AM to 11 AM
NOTE: This also serves as embassy to: Benin, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde etc. or other important notes where applicable
List of Airports in the UK for Nigerian Travelers Structure
Here’s a list of the main City Airports to use when travelling to the UK:
- London Heathrow Airports (Airport Code is LHR)
- London Gatwick Airports (Airport Code is LGW)
- Manchester Airports (Airport Code is MAN)
- London Stansted Airports (Airport Code is STN)
- London Luton Airports (Airport Code is LTN)
Important Advice for Nigerians Travelling to the UK as a Student
If you’re interested in travelling to the UK for other motives aside being a Student, make sure you visit our Travel Destination Comparison page to see how Nigeria compares to the UK before you make your final decision. In addition, it is important to note that even though you’ve been granted a visa, you’re only allowed to work as a student union sabbatical officer or work in volunteer and casual jobs depending on what level your course is but you’re not allowed to work in a professional capacity, unless required for study.
Once again, if you require further assistance, please join Travel Lounge – a Nigerian Travelers Network for a professional consultation and assistance.
Sources and Disclaimer:
Disclaimer: The contents of these pages are provided as an information guide only, in good faith. The use of this website is at the viewer/user’s sole risk. While every effort is made in presenting up-to-date and accurate information, no responsibility or liability is accepted by the owners to this website for any errors, omissions, outdated or misleading information on these pages or any site to which these pages connect or are linked. The viewer/user of this web page should use the above information as a guideline only, and should always contact the sources provided below or the country’s official government representatives for the most up-to-date information at that moment in time, before making a final decision to travel to that country or destination.
Note: If you will like to read various posts on top schools, visas and immigration like this, especially on Travelling to foreign countries such as Tourism, Education, Visiting and Permanent Visa and Immigration to USA, UK, Australia, Europe including France, Belgium, Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands, Germany and Switzerland, please subscribe to our newsletter below. We will send you updates any time there’s a new post. We promise it is 100% spam free!