I’ve always aspired to travel and one of the top destinations on my bucket list is France. There has never been a more flamboyant and romantic country than the one of “Liberty, Equality and Fraternity”. It lies on the European continent from the Mediterranean sea to the English channel and the North sea, and also from the Rhine to the Atlantic ocean, it has a total of 643,801Km2 with a vast population of 66.7 million people by 2016 Wikipedia estimates.
The country is brimming with flattering historical monuments, art, culture, literature, music, fashion, architecture and business, it’s no wonder it has a thriving tourism market with 83 million international visitors in 2012 and ranked third in World heritage sites by UNESCO. Notable tourists attractions include the French Riviera, French Alps, beautiful cities like Paris, Lyon, Marseilles, Bordeaux and of course the arts.
These historical arts pieces are housed in 1200 museums around the country, one of such is the Louvre and about 43,180 buildings protected as national monuments, some of these famous monuments are the Palace of Versailles, Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame Cathedral, Arc de Triomphe and various Châteaux.
Besides the cultural atmosphere, the French are also famous for their wine, cuisine, bread, cheese, cafes and an overall friendly nature.
France is a member of the Schengen states, and its visa and immigration for Nigerian citizens are approved by the French Consulate General, Lagos. The short stay visa for France is required for tourism, family and friends visit or just ordinary transit. Applications can only be accepted 10 weeks before the date of travel at the countries’ visa application centre; VFS Global. Here are the necessary visa and immigration application details for a holiday in France.
Visa and Immigration requirements for France
- A duly completed and signed online visa application form, which is PDF generated afterwards for printing, questionnaire, along with an attached barcode generated page. Click here
- International passport with six months validity, three empty leaflets and an issue date of below 10 years
- Three photocopies of international passport bio data page
- Passport photograph with dimensions of 35-40mm, no more than six months old, with 70-80% camera face close up
- Current three months bank statement at least 15 days before application
- Receipt of visa application fee of €60 (N20, 905), this is paid at the Sterling Bank teller counter at the visa application centre. Children below the age of six are exempted from visa fees, while children between the ages of 6-12 will pay N12, 195.
- Receipt of VFS Global service fee of N6300 where applicable
- Visa applicants below the age of 18 must provide a birth certificate, parents’ letter of consent, issuing parent’s passport bio data page or national ID card
- Portrait photocopies of your last two US, UK, Canada, Japan , or any Schengen visa if any will be required
- Photocopy of spouse passport data page and marriage certificate duly legalized in Nigeria where applicable.
- Complete flight and hotel itinerary
- Valid travel insurance cover
France Visa Application Submission
The visa application submission for France is at the VFS Global office, this is the official visa application centre for France, and they do not have any visa approval power. Visit their Lagos or Abuja office with your application form and supporting documents between Monday – Friday at 08:00AM to 14:00PM excluding the national public holidays observed by the France Consulate General and Federal Government of Nigeria. Applicants will be required to have their biometrics taken at the VFS Global office. Click here for biometrics details
France Visa application duration
The visa processing time is a minimum of 15 working days Schengen process, visa collection time is 10:00AM – 16:00PM on Mondays – Fridays. All applicants must come in person for collection of documents/passports as third parties will not be allowed to collect the documents on behalf of an applicant, except in the cases where parents are collecting for dependents, one family member collecting for the whole family who applied together. Frances’ visa and immigration application status can by entering your Receipt Number and your Date of Birth. click here
France Visa Application Centre, Lagos
Plot 110, Admiral Ayinla Way,
Opposite Treasure Garden Estate,
Third Roundabout, Lekki Phase I
France Visa Application Centre, Abuja
62, Lobito Crescent,
Telephone +234 815 018 8800