Canada is a wonderful study destination, especially if you’re looking towards the American continent for top quality education. It is more affordable, easy application process, scholarship opportunities, student – work permit and opportunities for work and permanent residency after school.
If you’re considering applying to a Canadian school (this is an article on the 10 best schools to study in Canada) or you already got an admission, well here’s a detailed approach on how to apply for a Canadian student visa (study permit) from Nigeria.
Canada Student Visa Immigration Eligibility
- You have been offered provisional admission into a Canadian institution or university
- You must have proof of sufficient funds to cover your tuition fees, living costs, return flights and any other future expense
- You must provide proof that you’ve no criminal record or pose a security threat to Canada
- You must be in good health and mental state of mind
- You must fulfill and answer all appropriate questions and also prove that you’ll return to Nigeria after your authorized visa expires
Canada Student Visa Immigration Requirements
- Original acceptance letter into a Canadian academic institution or university
- An international passport with at least 3-6 months validity after your proposed stay
- Two recent passport photographs with your name and date of birth written behind each photograph. Click here for specifications
- Financial sufficiency proof, these include the following
Original bank statements for four months from your financial institution stating your name, etc
Educational loan documents from a financial institution
Canadian bank account statement in your name, if the money has already been transferred
Bank draft in convertible currency
Receipts of payments of tuition and accommodation fees
Letter of consent from an individual or institution providing funding for you
Proof of funding from a Canadian scholarship body
Click here for total estimated amounts
- Letter of mandate explaining why you’re applying for the visa
- Police clearance certificate
- Medical examination and yellow fever certificate
- A duly completed online or offline application forms with a generated barcode and signatures page (click validate at the top or bottom of the form, a last page with barcodes and signatures line will be created, print, sign and date, this form will be placed on top of your application package when submitting). Click here to apply
Instruction Guide [IMM 5269]
Documents Checklist [IMM 5483]
Visa Office Instructions-Study [IMM5832]
Application For A Study Permit Made Outside Of Canada [IMM 1294]
Family Information [IMM 5645]
Statutory Declaration Of Common-Law Union [IMM 5409]
Custodian Declaration [IMM 5646]
- Print out of visa fees payment receipt, if you paid online
- VFS consent form: You have to fill out the VFS consent form and attach it with your application form. Note that non-conformance can lead to form returns.
Canada Student Visa Fees And Payment
The Canadian visa and immigration fees is paid in local currency via two methods i.e. online payment via credit or prepaid card after application submission and payment at the visa administration office (VFS Global). Canada visa fees for study permit is CAN$150 (N34,500), while biometrics data fees are CAN$85 (N19,550). Ensure that you print your receipt (if you paid online) and submit to the VFS Global office, please note that you will pay an additional services charge of CAN$49.73 (N11, 400) along with the above mentioned fees. Click here for visa fees
Canada Visa Application Processing
The first step in the Canada visa application process is to create an application account via the Canada visa and immigration website.
If you already have the complete documents required for the visa application, proceed to fill your forms online or download and fill offline, if you must fill online, ensure that you have a proper PDF reader software, printer/scanner for documents softcopy generation, a valid prepaid or credit card for online visa fees payments and a valid email address, print out all documents and receipts for submission at the VFS Global office.
Submission of forms, passport, all supporting documents and biometrics is done at the CVAC Nigerian office; you’ll be issued a receipt which contains a unique tracking number to track your application progress online. Visa applications are accepted on Mondays to Fridays 08:00am – 03:00pm; note that you’re not allowed to submit via mail.
The Canada student visa permit takes about fifteen (15) weeks to process; this is excluding the application processing time at the visa administration office (VFS Global). Click here to track your application
After review by the Government of Canada immigration, you’ll receive notification requesting your passport; the passport along with the request letter from IRCC may be submitted through the CVAC office either in person or by courier, all accompanying service charges, courier fees and a self addressed prepaid courier envelope should be included as well.
The service charge of CAN$39.79 (N9, 150) should be paid at any GT bank with the details below:
Account Name: CANADA VALUE ADDED SERVICE COLLECTION
Account Number: 0109515451
Forward all details to firstname.lastname@example.org after payment.
Passport will be submitted to The Deputy High Commission of Canada. After review, you’ll be notified of passport retrieval which you can pick up in person or use the self addressed prepaid courier envelope.
Canada Visa Application Offices In Nigeria
Canada Visa Application Centre, Lagos
Manor Hall, Plot 110, Admiral Ayinla Way,
Opposite Treasure Garden Estate,
Third Roundabout, Lekki Phase I – Lagos
Canada Visa Application Centre, Abuja
62, Lobito Crescent,