Australia is the 6th largest country in the world with a total land area of 7,692,024 Km2, it is also a continent, comprising of Tasmania Island and other smaller islands. Its population as of 2016 estimates are 24,171,600 according to Wikipedia. Its citizens are multi culturally diverse with some being Anglo-Celtic, Aborigines, Torres Strait islanders, Chinese, Indian, Greeks, German, and Dutch with over 250 indigenous languages including a sign language known as Auslan.
The Australian terrain is mostly semi-arid, with alpine heaths, tropical evergreen rain forests, beaches, large mountain peaks, coral reefs and a large number of reptiles. Its climatic zones include equatorial, tropical, desert, grassland and temperate.
Australia’s economy is the 12th largest in the world making it one of the wealthiest with a GDP total of $1.223 trillion by 2015 estimates, its currency is the Australian Dollar (AUD). In recent years, there has been a demand for skilled expertise and labour in certain fields in Australia, this is due to technological changes in the region, and such sectors include agriculture, manufacturing, construction, utilities and services.
I recently researched on the necessary criteria of getting a permanent work permit for Australia, and after much thought, I have drafted a detailed outline, and here they are:
The Skilled Independent Visa Immigration Details (Subclass 189)
This visa is required for a points-tested skilled worker who is not recommended or supported by an employer, family or government, for immigrants who intend to work and live in Australia as a permanent resident. This visa can also be jointly applied for by spouse, dependents and family, when approved, it allows you and your family to stay, work, study, enrol in healthcare services, apply for Australian citizenship, sponsor eligible relatives and travel in/out of Australia for five years from date of issue, after that, you’ll require a resident visa.
Australia Work Visa and Immigration eligibility
You will be eligible to apply for this work permit visa only when you submit an Expression Of Interest (EOI) via SkillSelect, then you’ll invited via a letter of invitation sent to your email in response through SkillSelect. Besides your invitation, you must also possess the following;
- Be an expert or professional in a selected occupation that is on the skilled occupation list
- Have a skills assessments for your chosen occupation
- Necessary documents to prove that you’re below the age of 50
- Have an evidence of English competency
- You must score at least 60 points in your EOI to be invited to apply; these points are awarded on certain factors such as age, English proficiency, skilled employment in and outside Australia, education qualifications, Australian study requirements, nomination, etc.
After you receive you invitation, you’ll have approximately 60 days to apply for a visa, visa and immigration to Australia from Nigeria is done by Teleperformance Contact Center (TLS), but for the visa type, you’ll be using Skillselect. Before applying for your visa, you’ll need the following visa application requirements and supporting documents, these are:
- You have to register for an ImmiAccount, this is where all documents and visa fees payment and tracking will be done.
- International passport with six months validity
- Photocopy of the bio data page of your international passport
- Birth certificate from the National Population Census showing registration of your birth
- Marriage, relationship certificate, joint bank account statements for couples or spouses where applicable
- A properly filled Form 47A for children or dependents aged 18 years and over with documented evidence of relationship to you where applicable
- A properly filled Form 1229 for children or dependents younger than 18 years of age with documented evidence of relationship to you and parental court custody in case of you being a legal guardian where applicable
- Medical health assessment report and yellow fever certificate
- Police clearance certificate with biometrics
- A properly completed Form 80 character assessment and Form 1221 additional personal particulars information documents
- A detailed copy of your Curriculum Vitae
- English language proficiency test results undertaken in the last three years before your application, the accepted tests are IELTS, OET, TOEFL iBT, PTE.
- Positive Skills and points test assessment tests, click here
- Evidence of documents used to acquire skills and point test scores, e.g. birth certificate, employment payslips, tax clearance receipts, business registration for self employed, properly written employment letter on official company letterhead and duly stamped.
Australia skilled visa and immigration application process
- You can apply online via Skillselect, using the link provided in your letter of invitation
- Attach and upload all supporting documents used for your claims on the EOI you submitted using the ImmiAccount you opened
- Visa application fees are paid online via credit card, the visa fees for the skilled-independent is AUD$ 3600 (N 567832), additional applicants charge for 18 & over is AUD$ 1800 (N 283916), while additional fees are under 18 is AUD$ 900 (N141985). Click here for visa fees
- Acknowledgement of information submission will be sent to you and correspondence email sent to you as well.
- Visa tracking and management is done via your ImmiAccount
Australia Work Visa and Immigration processing
Your visa processing time depends on how much information you have provided, character, health checks and more information demands. This process could take 5 – 8 months.
Australia Work Visa decision
If your visa is granted, the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) will contact you to inform you on when you can use the visa, visa grant number and conditions attached to the visa. If you’re not granted a visa, you’ll also be informed.
Australia Skilled Occupation List
This provides detailed information for potential skills applicants seeking to be nominated for acceptance as temporary and permanent migration to Australia.
Click here for more information on this Australia Immigration Visa type